Jefferson City, MO 61° View Live Radar Wed H 86° L 67° Thu H 84° L 70° Fri H 86° L 68° Weather Sponsored By:

JC man sentenced to life in prison

JC man sentenced to life in prison

December 7th, 2018 by Jeff Haldiman in Local News

A Jefferson City man charged in connection with the death of another Jefferson City man on Halloween 2016 has been sentenced to life in prison after he pleaded guilty in September before the trial began.

Terrance Wynn, 21, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, armed criminal action and first-degree robbery in relation to the death of Terrance Davis, 29, who was killed in the early morning hours of Oct. 31, 2016, in the 700 block of Michigan Street.

Wynn had been facing a count of first-degree murder, one count of first-degree assault, as well as additional armed criminal action charges, but those charges were dismissed as part of an alternative plea offered by prosecutors.

Cole County Senior Judge Richard Callahan accepted the plea during a hearing Thursday afternoon.

Davis was found lying in the street with two gunshot wounds, according to a police department probable cause statement. Multiple .45-caliber shell casings were recovered at the scene, and a .45-caliber bullet was recovered during Davis’ autopsy.

Video of the crime was recovered from a business on Missouri Boulevard that has cameras pointed toward the area where the shooting occurred. The video showed two suspects approached Davis, with the larger of the two shooting him. After shooting Davis, the suspects walked away, then came back and fired another shot at Davis while he was lying on the ground.

A 911 caller who reported the incident said she heard a person say, “Why … why are you doing this right now?” The caller said she then heard three or four rapid gunshots — two shots then a pause before a third shot was fired, followed by a pause and a fourth shot.

Wynn was identified in November 2016 as the person who fired shots in a separate incident in the 700 block of Monroe Street.

He was detained, and officers recovered a handgun from his waistband. The gun was cocked and loaded with a round in the chamber. A shell casing was recovered that matched the ammunition inside the gun. A records check on the weapon’s serial number found it had been stolen in May 2016 in Jefferson City.

When interviewed by authorities, Wynn admitted to shooting the gun. He said he had encountered another individual, gotten into an altercation with the person, pulled the gun out and fired it.

Wynn said he had purchased the gun from an unknown individual for $200 in September 2016.

He was charged with second-degree assault, unlawful use of a weapon, armed criminal action and receiving stolen property in connection with the November 2016 shots-fired incident. Wynn pleaded guilty to these charges as well.

Police said they were informed the shell casings recovered at the Michigan Street murder and Monroe Street shooting scenes appeared to have been fired from the same weapon and were made by the same manufacturer.

Wynn was located and brought in for questioning. He said he had no knowledge of Davis’ murder but was present and he did not shoot Davis. He said he and another individual had planned to rob Davis, and the other individual shot him. Wynn said, after Davis was shot, he had gone through Davis’ pockets and recovered a lighter. He also said that after walking away from Davis, the other individual had walked back and shot Davis again.

Authorities showed Wynn images taken from the video from the night of the murder, and eventually he admitted to shooting Davis.

When he was arrested in the murder and assault cases, Wynn was serving a five-year supervised probation sentence for a charge connected to thefts from vehicles in March 2015. He was charged with one count of receiving stolen property in that case, and Judge Callahan during Thursday’s hearing found Wynn had violated that probation.

At Thursday’s hearing, Wynn’s attorney, Public Defender Derek Roe, read a statement from Wynn. In the statement Wynn said he took responsibility for the crime, but he did not act alone and did not feel he should bear such a high burden for his involvement.

Last month, a Cole County jury found the other man charged in this case, Traivon Jefferson, 23, of Jefferson City, not guilty of second-degree murder, attempted first-degree robbery and armed criminal action.

However, shortly after his not guilty verdict, federal authorities picked Jefferson up on a charge of being a felon in possession of a firearm on an unrelated case. He was then indicted by a federal grand jury and pleaded not guilty at his arraignment this week in federal court. Jefferson is scheduled to go to trial on that charge next month.