Fire officials believe an electrical problem was the cause of a house fire Wednesday night in Jefferson City.
The fire in the 1900 block of Swifts Highway was reported just after 8 p.m., according to fire department reports.
Three teenagers and a child were home at the time of the fire and were alerted by smoke detectors. They exited the house unharmed and called 911.
When fire crews arrived, they found smoke and flames showing from the lower level of a split-foyer single-family home. Crews got the fire under control in a short time and rescued a pet cat from the residence.
Fire damage was contained to the room where the fire began, and there was smoke and heat damage throughout the rest of the home.