George Tergin loved the Capital City and its downtown, so much so that he built his home within two blocks of the statehouse. A century later, his grandchildren continue to operate a downtown Jefferson City business.
‘Diversity is part of our DNA’
Social development in Jefferson City has been influenced by the presence of the Episcopalian church. As early as the 1840s, the local congregation offered a ministry to convicts at the State Penitentiary.
Home built in 1925 offers period light fixtures, floors, crown molding and even fire extinguisher
The unique, arched entry to The Villa with double wooden doors, ornate hinges and stained glass windows put 1025 Adams St. in local artist Mary Ann Hall’s “Grand Entrances” work a few years ago.
Porth House is one of the few Jefferson City homes that date before the Civil War
The intersection of Bolivar and Main streets in Jefferson City has been a bustling commercial district for going on two centuries. William Porth's home was built on the tall hill which greeted travelers crossing the Missouri River bridge in the 1800s.
Reconstruction and repurposing could sum up the lasting contributions made by Missouri’s 20th governor, Benjamin Gratz Brown. In addition to involvement in construction of the Governor's Mansion, Brown had 3 row houses built across the street, a portion of which now houses the Cole County Historical Society.
A Jefferson City Landmark and a fine example of the German architectural style, the Buehrle House at 707 Washington St. has held love and beauty.
The Governor Office Building, once the Hotel Governor, has two historic legacies. The first began in the 1940s as a central and essential hotel, serving as meeting place for political, business and romantic liaisons.
After 108 years in the same location, East End Drug still maintains a ’50s aura
Safely tucked away in the basement of East End Drug in Jefferson City were the original stools to the soda fountain counter.
An immigrant love story, a neighborhood staple and a safe place in a tumultuous social era — the two-story brick commercial building at 423 E. Miller St. truly is a Jefferson City Landmark.
Perhaps millions of feet of hose have been used in training up and down the city’s first drill tower for fire service.
Resting place of history
Many public servants are memorialized at Riverview Cemetery in Jefferson City. Some survived the Civil War, others immigrated here after that dividing point in Missouri history and others were pioneers long before the 1860s.
Convict labor formed bricks and carved limestone on site at the Missouri State Penitentiary to erect the warden’s home at 700 E. Capitol Ave. in 1888.
The rough-edged limestone steps at the front door of the Oscar Burch House were carved from the oncefive acres owned by the namesake and his brother Nelson Burch.
Oscar Burch was “one of the most substantial citizens of Jefferson City,” according to “The Illustrated Sketch Book and Directory of Jefferson City and Cole County, 1900.”
Seventy years after the building opened, the mission as a community center continues. Originally the Jefferson City Community Center, 608 E. Dunklin St. now is the Eastside Family Activity Center.
Literally, a landmark — the freestanding clock at the corner of High and Madison streets in downtown Jefferson City — has been a rendezvous location for businessmen and a point of reference for visitors for 80 years.
Once a place to educate young women in the finer points of knowledge and etiquette, today the Greek Revival-style buildings at 416-420 E. State St. are a reference for those learning about revitalization.
'I always told Mom I would live in this house'
Heiress to the “lumber doctor,” Stacia Mills admired her aunt’s Jefferson City home, while she was growing up across the street.
Busch’s Florist is Jefferson City’s oldest retail business
One hundred years ago, Jefferson City South Side shoppers would buy their long-stemmed flowers after a bit of conversation inside Busch’s Florist.
Simple, yet distinctive
Most of the homes still standing today that existed in Jefferson City during the Civil War are grander homes of prominent community leaders.