Once one of many, a German cottage at 801 Washington St. in Jefferson City was home to a clergyman’s widow while raising their six children.
A close-knit, growing congregation
Inside a small house at the corner of then-U.S. 50 and Clark Avenue in Jefferson City, a new Catholic parish celebrated its first Mass the last Sunday in July 1913.
Today, 308 W. Dunklin St., is more than a story above the main thoroughfare in Old Munichburg and houses Kas A Designs.
From a residential space to government offices, Dix Apartment building remains a landmark
Neighbors of the Dix Apartments at 623 Capitol Ave. are the Walls at the Missouri State Penitentiary, the Col. Darwin Marmaduke House at 700 E. Capitol Ave. and the Lester Shepard Parker House at 624 E. Capitol Ave.
Once a destination for criminals to be punished or, in some cases, put to death, the old Missouri State Penitentiary now attracts thousands of tourists every year looking to get a glimpse inside the walls.
For nearly a century, 207 E. High St. was a staple of men’s fine clothing in Jefferson City. The ownership changed hands and the styles certainly took their turns, but the location was dependable.
When the automobile was new, traveling opened up to a wider public. Roadside motels, fuel stations and restaurants cropped up to serve them on their treks. Such was the case with the Warwick Village Motel.
The Burkheads operate their accounting business out of what was once the home of a distinguished Jefferson City business man at 600 E. Capitol Ave. known as the Dallmeyer Home.
With 95 organizers, the Jefferson City Country Club officially formed in September 1909 and Missouri Gov. Herbert Hadley was the first president.
Nearly a century of character
When Shae Marie Eickhoff walked into 1214 Elmerine St. 11 years ago for the first time, she knew she had found her home.
Fixture at Lohman’s Landing for 175 years
Steamboats were pulling in wherever looked good to them along the Missouri River’s edge and Missouri legislators were sleeping in residents’ small homes.
For more than 80 years, Monroe Street has been the hub of Capital City journalism
The Jefferson City News Tribune represents more than the heritage of print news in the Capital City; it is the evolution of family traditions. The Palmer-Hussman family began in
The shoe industry was a big money maker in Jefferson City, especially during the era of prison labor. The International Shoe Building at 1101 E. Capitol Ave. was one of several industries built apart from the controversial inmate labor pool.
At the turn of the 20th century, Peter Kaullen was proud of opening his mercantile at 900 E. High St. At the turn of the 21st century, Juanita Donehue was determined to restore that three-story, German vernacular as home to her restaurant.
Landmark home belonged to Lester Parker, whose expert use of inmate labor eventually made him head of prison industries
Lester S. Parker was Missouri's first superintendent of prison-based industry. But he may better be remembered for his artistic works and service through First Baptist Church.
The opulence of the Missouri Pacific Railroad station greeted guests and newcomers to Jefferson City at the turn of the 20th century.
Designated as Jefferson City Landmark
Jefferson City's Millbottom was “one of the most interesting, multi-dimensional historical neighborhoods,” said author and historian Gary Kremer.
Designated a Jefferson City landmark
The backyard view of the Missouri River from the Cliff Manor Bed and Breakfast is as beautiful for today’s guests as it was advantageous for the Union soldiers who occupied the site as Fort College Hill during the Civil War.
Designated a Jefferson City landmark
In 1913, Jefferson City voters passed the largest bond proposal yet to expand the high school on Hobo Hill and to build two new grade schools, including Moreau Heights. The city Landmark today houses the Moreau Montessori School.
The unique “cotton rock” limestone of Mid-Missouri was used to construct many of the earliest buildings in Jefferson City. Prussian-born immigrant Bernard Eveler constructed a duplex at the corner of West Main and Clay streets entirely with this uneven medium between 1854-60.