The Vine strings together a new season of music
Thursday, May 29, 2014
Our Savior’s Lutheran Church kicks off its fourth annual summer concert series from 5:30-9 p.m. Saturday at The Vine, its outdoor concert venue.
The first of the free community events will feature two bands and a kids’ fun zone that include a bounce house, face painting and other kid-friendly activities.
Kyle Bellinger, the church’s worship minister, started the event as a small experiment to make use of the outdoor venue outside the church, 1529 Southwest Blvd. in Jefferson City.
Last year, about 50 people attended each event. This year, he hopes to grow the event, which has several sponsors for the first time.
“My overreaching goal is for this to become one of Jefferson City’s events that is held every summer, much like Thursday Night Live or Salute to America,” Bellinger said. “I would like for The Vine to be as notable as those other events.”
The concert series will be held one Saturday each month over the next five months, each with different themes.
Saturday’s “rock and barbecue” event features two rock bands, Columbia-based Richard Parker (Bellinger is the singer) and Linn-based Madora. The concerts start at 7 p.m.
The Jay Marching Band Boosters will sell barbecue.
Other events in the series are:
• A June 21 patriotic-themed event including native American dancers, patriotic music and re-enactors that include John Joseph “Black Jack” Pershing, a U.S. general in World War I.
• A July 26 bluegrass-themed event including a band from the state of California.
• An Aug. 23 pop music-themed event featuring two pop bands. A back-to-school backpack and school supply collection will be held.
• A Sept. 20 event with a gospel theme.
Food donations will be accepted at all events, except for the Aug. 23 event. Donations will go to local food pantries, Bellinger said.
For more information, visit The Vine Summer Concert Series Facebook page at www.facebook.com/thevinejc.
More like this story
- Outdoor venue at Jefferson City church to host concert
- Composer returns to Mid-Missouri for concert
- Lake Area Community Orchestra celebrate 25th anniversary, announce Summer Concert Series
- Lake Area Community Orchestra celebrate 25th anniversary, makes next concert stop in Jefferson City Tuesday
- OUR OPINION: Music strikes spiritual chord during holidays
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting