Electrical fire damages JC home

Heat, humidity complicate firefighters’ work

 Jefferson City firefighter, Anthony Trapani, tosses smoldering clothing out the window in an effort to make sure the fire does not reignite Monday after firefighters doused the blaze at 1024 Hawthorne Pkwy. It took the crew of more than a dozen nearly 45 minutes to knock down flames and have the fire under control.

Jefferson City firefighter, Anthony Trapani, tosses smoldering clothing out the window in an effort to make sure the fire does not reignite Monday after firefighters doused the blaze at 1024 Hawthorne Pkwy. It took the crew of more than a dozen nearly 45 minutes to knock down flames and have the fire under control. Photo by Julie Smith.

An electrical problem in the basement led to a fire that seriously damaged a Jefferson City home Monday afternoon.

The two-alarm fire at 1024 Hawthorn Parkway was called in just after 1 p.m.

The occupant of the home told 911 operators the home was filling with smoke, and there was black smoke coming from the area of the home’s electrical box.

When crews arrived, nothing was showing from the outside. But when they entered the house, they found the fire in the basement.

The fire went up from the basement and eventually into the attic. It took about 45 minutes to put the fire out. Total damage was estimated at $100,000.

The resident of the home is recovering from knee surgery and was able to get out before fire crews arrived.

Firefighters had to deal with extreme heat and humidity while fighting the fire.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting

News Tribune - comments