Breaking News

Plans to tear down old Cole County jail and sheriff's house move forward April 16, 2014

Firefighters battle blaze in Centertown home

Firefighters were called early Friday morning to battle a blaze in a rural Cole County residence southeast of Centertown.

Members of the Regional West Fire Protection District were dispatched around 2:10 a.m. to a flue fire at 9022 Coyote Ridge Road, near Nine Hills Road. Firefighters discovered smoke showing as they arrived at the scene.

A call for additional personnel was dispatched around 2:45 a.m. as the blaze had spread to other parts of the structure. Firefighters reported around 3:30 a.m. that the blaze was under control.

The fire began near a fireplace. The firebox had insulation, but not enough air space and a wall caught on fire.

Firefighters contained the fire to an exterior wall and the roof around the fireplace.

Smoke detectors woke up the residents and they were able to get out without any injuries.

Some fire fighting equipment did freeze up due to the single digit temperatures, but crews were able to save the home because they got on the scene fairly quickly, according to district officials.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting

News Tribune - comments