Freezing rain complicates travel in parts of Missouri
Monday, February 17, 2014
A storm system is bringing freezing rain to parts of Mid-Missouri this morning, mostly along and north of the Missouri River.
The most significant ice accumulations are expected across northeast Missouri and west central Illinois where temperatures are expected to remain below the freezing mark the longest. A freezing rain advisory is in effect through midday today across northeast Missouri and west central Illinois as well as portions of central and east central Missouri and southwest Illinois, including most of the St Louis metro area.
Some snow accumulation up to an inch is also possible for areas in northeast Missouri and west-central Illinois where the freezing rain is expected to changeover to snow and some sleet before ending.
The National Weather Service has issued the following advisory for Audrain, Boone, Callaway, Franklin, Gasconade, Lincoln, Montgomery, St. Charles and St. Louis counties, including the cities of Columbia, Fulton, Hermann, Mexico, St. Charles, St. Louis and Union.
...FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON CST TODAY...
- TIMING...FREEZING RAIN WILL TRANSITION TO RAIN BEFORE ENDING DURING THE LATE MORNING AND MIDDAY HOURS.
- ACCUMULATIONS...UP TO TWO TENTHS OF AN INCH OF ICE...WITH THE HEAVIEST ICE ACCUMULATIONS JUST NORTH OF THE SAINT LOUIS METRO AREA.
- TEMPERATURES...25 TO 30...RISING INTO THE MID TO UPPER 30S BY MIDDAY.
- WINDS... SOUTHEAST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.
- IMPACTS...ICE ACCUMULATION WILL CREATE HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ON UNTREATED SURFACES.
A FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY IS ISSUED WHEN LESS THAN ONE-QUARTER INCH OF ICE IS EXPECTED TO ACCUMULATE ON UNTREATED SURFACES... SUCH AS SIDEWALKS... DRIVEWAYS... ROADS AND PARKING LOTS. PLAN FOR A SLOW TRIP... AND USE SPECIAL CAUTION WHEN APPROACHING BRIDGES AND CURVES. REMEMBER THAT ICE DEPOSITED BY FREEZING RAIN IS OFTEN DIFFICULT TO SEE... SO DO NOT BE CAUGHT OFF GUARD.
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting