Tennessee reworking Cuonzo Martin's deal
Wednesday, April 2, 2014
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart said Tuesday the university is reworking the contract of men’s basketball coach Cuonzo Martin, who said earlier in the day he intends to remain with the Volunteers.
“We are working on modifications to Cuonzo’s current contract and will release details of those adjustments when finalized,” Hart said in a university statement.
The university also released a statement from Martin.
“Tennessee is where I want to be,” the coach said. “That has never changed.”
Martin did speak with Marquette about its coaching vacancy, but he pulled his name from consideration. Marquette announced Tuesday it had hired Duke assistant Steve Wojciechowski to replace Buzz Williams, who had left to take over Virginia Tech’s program.
Martin is 63-41 in three seasons at Tennessee, including a 24-13 mark and NCAA regional semifinal appearance this season. Martin makes $1.35 million per year, which ranks him in the bottom half of Southeastern Conference coaches.
Martin’s contract currently runs through the end of the 2015-16 season.
After leading the Vols to a second straight NIT berth in 2013, Martin received a $50,000 raise but didn’t get a contract extension from Hart, who took over Tennessee’s athletic department after Martin already had been hired.
Martin took over a program under NCAA investigation in 2011 and has averaged 21 wins per year.
More like this story
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting