LU kicks off homecoming week
Pep rally tonight includes fireworks display
Sunday, September 29, 2013
Lincoln University’s Blue Tigers host Emporia State University at 2 p.m. Saturday for the Homecoming game.
But the game comes near the end of a week’s activities on campus and in several other Jefferson City locations.
The week’s activities include Friday’s formal ceremonies installing Kevin Rome as LU’s 19th president.
But Homecoming Week begins today with participation in the annual CROP Walk, aimed at raising awareness about hunger both around the world and locally.
The walk also includes volunteers from a number of area churches, and begins at 3 p.m. at the Soldiers’ Memorial Plaza, goes to the Capitol and then returns to the LU campus.
A portion of the proceeds from the walk will be distributed to the Boys and Girls Club of the Capital City.
A Community Day Ice Cream Social begins at 5 p.m. — if it rains, the event will be moved inside Memorial Hall.
The Homecoming Pep Rally, which has been on Friday night the last few years, was returned to Sunday this year because of the scheduling conflict with the Inaugural Scholarship Ball.
Tonight’s pep rally follows the 6:30 p.m. Inaugural Celebration and Gospel Concert in Dwight T. Reed Stadium.
The 8 p.m. pep rally ends with a fireworks show, that is scheduled to be over before 9 p.m.
Jefferson City police will close Lafayette Street to traffic shortly before the fireworks begin, and will re-open it when the fireworks are finished.
If it rains, the 6:30 p.m. concert will be moved to the Mitchell Auditorium and the fireworks will be canceled.
Here’s a listing of this week’s public Homecoming events.
• 3-5 p.m. — CROP Walk starts at Soldiers’ Memorial Plaza.
• 5 p.m. — Community Day Ice Cream Social, Soldiers’ Memorial Plaza.
• 6:30 p.m. — Homecoming Inauguration Celebration and Gospel Concert, Dwight T. Reed Stadium.
• 6 a.m. — Wellness Stroll, Soldiers Memorial.
• Noon-3 p.m. — Caricature and Henna Artists, Scruggs University Center Student Lounge.
• 7-10 p.m. — “Showtime at the LU Apollo,” Mitchell Auditorium.
• 7-10 p.m. — Salsa Magic, Scruggs University Center Ballroom.
• 6 a.m. — Wellness Stroll, Soldiers Memorial.
• 7-9 p.m. — “Let’s Make a Deal,” Thomas D. Pawley Theater in Martin Luther King Hall.
• 9 a.m.-5 p.m. — Alumni Data Updates, LU Paraphernalia and Ticket Sales, Memorial Hall.
• 11 a.m.- Noon — Student Leaders Dialogue with National Alumni Association President Alfred Harris, and Chapter Presidents, Scruggs University Center Ballroom.
• 11 a.m.-3 p.m. — Wax Hands, Scruggs University Center Student Lounge.
• 5-7:30 p.m. — Athletic Hall of Fame Banquet, Capitol Plaza Hotel. $30/person.
• 7 p.m. — Mr. and Miss LU Coronation, Mitchell Auditorium (attire: Dressy), followed by Coronation Ball, Scruggs University Center Ballroom.
• 9 p.m.- Midnight — Alumni Welcome Reception, Capitol Plaza Hotel.
• 9 a.m.- 5 p.m. — Alumni Data Updates, LU Paraphernalia and Ticket Sales, Memorial Hall.
• 12:30 p.m.-2:30 p.m. — Reunion Classes Luncheon and Memorial Services, Scruggs University Center Ballroom. Cost: $25.
• 2:30-4 p.m. — Stripes Meet and Greet, Memorial Hall.
• 3:30-4:30 p.m. — Alumni Dialogue with University Officials and Alumni Association President Alfred Harris, President’s Residence, 601 Jackson St.
• 4:30-6:30 p.m. — Soul Food Dinner (Dine with students), Scruggs University Center Cafeteria. Cost: $10.
• 5-6 p.m. — Renaming Ceremonies for Elizabeth Briscoe Wilson Technology Media Center and Lionel Newsom Student Lounge, both at Inman E. Page Library.
• 5-9:30 p.m. — Yard Fest, Jason Gym Parking Lot.
• 10 p.m. — Classes of 60s Dance, Truman Hotel. Cost: $25.
• 10 p.m.-Midnight — Greek Step Show, Pan Hellenic Council, Mitchell Auditorium. Cost: $10 in advance; $15 at the door.
• 9:30-11:30 a.m. — Homecoming Parade (9 a.m. Line-up).
Route: From Lafayette and Dunklin streets, north to High Street, then west to Jefferson Street, south to McCarty Street, then east to Lafayette and back to Dunklin Street.
• Immediately following parade — Band & Drill Team Competition, on Practice Field next to Soldier’s Hall/ROTC Building.
• 11 a.m.-2 p.m. — Tailgate, hosted by National Alumni Association and Blue Tiger Quarterback Club, Little Theater Parking Lot (on Chestnut Street near stadium). Cost: $10.
• 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. — Carl North Smith Post-Parade Luncheon, Scruggs University Center Ballroom. Cost: $20 (sponsored by JC Alumni Chapter).
• 2 p.m. — Homecoming Football Game, LU Blue Tigers vs. Emporia State University, Dwight T. Reed Stadium. Prices: $15 adults; $10 students; LU Students with ID free; 12 and under free.
• Immediately following game — Alumni Greek Serenade, Page Library Steps (if raining, inside Jason Gymnasium).
• Alpha Phi Alpha Beta Zeta Lambda Chapter’s Wine and Cheese Fundraising Event, benefiting President’s Residence Project and scholarships. Inman E. Page Library. Cost: $20. (Must be 21 or older).
• 7 p.m. — Class of 1963 50th Anniversary Reunion Banquet, Scruggs University Center Ballroom. Contact: Dr. Charles Ledbetter (304-757-7467).
• 8 p.m. — Students Homecoming Concert, with artist: Chrisette Michele, Mitchell Auditorium. Cost: $15 in advance; $20 at the door.
• 9 p.m.-2 a.m. — All Class Mixer, hosted by National Alumni Association, Capitol Plaza Hotel. Cost: $20 in advance; $25 at the door.
• 9 p.m.-1:30 a.m. — Young Alumni Soiree, Capitol Plaza Hotel. Cost: $15 in advance/$20 at the door.
• 11 p.m.-3 a.m. — “Blue and White Affair” — the Official Homecoming After Party, Jason Gymnasium. $3, with blue and white attire and $5, without.
• 9-11 a.m. — Memorial Prayer Breakfast, Capitol Plaza Hotel. Cost of buffet. Contact: Barbara Rashad (816-356-6058).
More like this story
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting