Maine drive-in wins national contest, to stay open (VIDEO)
Thursday, September 12, 2013
SACO, Maine (AP) — A drive-in movie theater in Maine that was in danger of closing because it could not afford to convert to digital technology has been saved by its loyal customers.
The 74-year-old Saco Drive-In was named a winner Wednesday of a national online contest launched by the Honda Motor Co. that will enable it to buy the expensive digital projection system meant to replace reels of film.
The contest required people to vote for their favorite drive-in.
Saco Drive-In manager Ry Russell said earlier this year that he might have to close if he couldn’t come up with the roughly $80,000 needed to buy the new equipment.
He says he “cried like a little girl” when he found out the theater had won the Honda contest.
More like this story
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting