Giants deny faking injuries
Monday, September 9, 2013
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) — The Giants are denying an allegation from Dallas owner Jerry Jones they faked injuries during a long touchdown drive by the Cowboys in New York’s season-opening loss.
Jones said after Dallas’ 36-31 victory Sunday night “it was so obvious it was funny” when linebacker Dan Connor and defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins went out on consecutive plays in the second quarter, stopping the clock each time.
Tony Romo and Jason Witten appeared to complain to officials while Jenkins was down. Witten caught a 15-yard scoring pass from Romo to finish the nine-play, 71-yard drive late in the first half.
Connor, who played for the Cowboys last year, didn’t return because of what the team described as a “burner.” Jenkins did return, and no injury update was given.
“It’s absolutely not true,” Giants coach Tom Coughlin said Monday. “Both of those payers were injured. Connor never returned to the game. Cullen was in a position where he needed to regroup. That really wasn’t orchestrated at all.”
Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said Monday he had not gone to the league over the sequence.
“If somebody goes down, you have to respect what’s going on with that player and make sure you handle it the right way,” Garrett said. “The league has a good understanding of what you have to value in that kind of a situation, and they handle it well.”
Giants safety Antrel Rolle said it was obvious Connor wasn’t faking because he didn’t return, and he said Jones should just be satisfied with beating New York in the opener for the second straight year.
More like this story
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting