Glisson arraigned for assault

Albert Glisson in Judge Tom Sodergren’s Cole County Courtroom Tuesday.

Albert Glisson in Judge Tom Sodergren’s Cole County Courtroom Tuesday.

Albert Glisson didn’t speak Monday morning, during a brief appearance before Cole County Associate Circuit Judge Thomas Sodergren.

His lawyer, Grant W. Smith, waived the formal reading of charges in Glisson’s case.

Glisson, 31, is to be back in court Oct. 7, for a preliminary hearing on charges of second-degree domestic assault, a Class C felony, and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child, a Class A misdemeanor.

Prosecutors filed the charges after police reported Glisson became angry on July 19, and hit his wife, Amanda Glisson, 29, several times.

The next morning, Albert Glisson called 911, reporting that his wife was unconscious and not breathing.

Emergency responders were not able to revive her, and she was pronounced dead at their home, 208 McKinley St.

But an autopsy the following Monday “revealed no further evidence that would immediately bring about further charges in this case,” police reported.

No other details of the case or the investigation have been released, and no other charges have been filed.

If convicted of the felony domestic assault charge, Glisson could be sentenced to up to seven years in prison.

Conviction of the misdemeanor child endangerment charges could result in a sentence of no more than a year in jail.

Police said the Glissons’ two children — a 10-year-old son and an 8-year-old daughter — witnessed their parents’ fight that Friday night.

The children told officers their father hit their mother several times, and had done so in the past.

They said Glisson got very upset with their mother after she would not answer him, or tell him how she was feeling.

Albert Glisson told police he had been drinking beer that Friday night, and that he had struck his wife on other occasions.

But he did not admit causing the injuries police said his wife suffered that night.

Police reported then that Glisson said he only struck his wife with his fists.

The police probable cause statement said Amanda Glisson’s injuries were consistent with being struck with a beer bottle, and beer bottles were located near her bed in the living room. They also said bruising and marks on the wife’s face matched the shape of the bottles found at the scene.

Police said Amanda Glisson “had been suffering from various degenerative physical ailments that prevented” her from moving around.

Albert Glisson initially was held on a $100,000 bond, but that was reduced to $1,000 following the autopsy, and he was released from jail.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting

News Tribune - comments