School officials: Gas leak repaired
Morgan County school evacuated Thursday
Saturday, November 2, 2013
VERSAILLES, Mo. — Tests early Friday morning confirmed a leak in a Morgan County elementary school had been fixed, and school resumed as usual.
The Morgan County R-2 School District’s South Elementary School evacuated its students Thursday because of a gas leak from a furnace in the building’s library.
“We had a couple people that had started complaining of headaches, and it was more people than normal,” said Superintendent Joyce Ryerson regarding how school officials discovered the leak. “While the levels weren’t terribly high throughout the building, we thought it would be best to move everybody out of the building.”
Around 11 a.m., district officials moved the 51 students of South Elementary, which houses kindergarten through second grade, to the main Morgan County R-2 campus in Versailles. The students spent the afternoon in various Versailles Elementary and Middle School classrooms.
“We only had to assimilate three grades, so that wasn’t too much of a problem,” Ryerson said. In situations where unused classrooms weren’t available, district officials used middle school hallways and put music classes on a cart so the music classroom could be repurposed for kindergarten use.
On Friday, school officials said all heating units, water heaters and ovens in the building were checked to ensure there were no additional leaks.
More like this story
- Gas leak empties Morgan County R-II’s South Elementary Thursday afternoon
- Morgan County schools exploring new safety possibilities
- FEMA approves funding for Morgan County R-2 storm shelter
- FEMA approves funding for Versailles school storm shelter
- Gun, knife discovered outside Morgan County R-2 school bus Friday
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting