District time for baseball, large-school track
Saturday, May 11, 2013
District tournament action is scheduled to begin today for all area baseball squads as well as for the larger schools in track and field.
• Jefferson City is the host school for the Class 5 District 9 Tournament at Vivion Field. The Jays, the No. 3 seed, will take on sixth-seeded Camdenton at 3:30 p.m. to open the six-team tournament. That will be followed with a 6 p.m. contest featuring fourth-seeded Hickman against No. 5 Sedalia Smith-Cotton.
Top-seeded Rock Bridge and second-seeded Helias await today’s winners in Monday’s semifinals. The championship contest is slated for Wednesday.
• Blair Oaks will host six other schools in the Class 3 District 13 Tournament at the Falcon Athletic Complex in Wardsville. The second-seeded Falcons will face seventh-seeded Versailles at 11:30 a.m. That game will be sandwiched by two other first-round contests — No. 4 South Callaway against No. 5 Warsaw at 9 a.m. and No. 3 Southern Boone taking on No. 6 Eugene at 2 p.m.
Fatima is the top seed and is off until Monday’s semifinals. The championship is scheduled for Wednesday.
• Calvary Lutheran had its scheduled district opener against Jamestown pushed back one day to today because of wet field conditions in the Class 1 District 10 Tournament at New Franklin.
Calvary, the No. 3 seed, will now play at 4 p.m. looking for a berth in Monday’s semifinals. The championship is to be played Wednesday.
• Four area schools are among the six teams set to play in the Class 2 District 8 Tournament at New Bloomfield.
The host Wildcats, seeded fourth, will face fifth-seeded New Haven at 1 p.m. Third-seeded Linn and sixth-seeded Father Tolton will follow at 3 p.m.
Russellville, the No. 1 seed, and second-seeded Tipton have byes into Tuesday’s semifinals. The title game will be played Wednesday.
• Eldon and School of the Osage will open play in the Class 4 District 9 Tournament at Sullivan.
Osage, the No. 5 seed, will face fourth-seeded St. James at 11 a.m. Third-seeded Eldon and sixth-seeded Owensville will then square off at 1:30 p.m.
Sullivan and Salem are the top two seeds in the six-team tournament. The semifinals are set for Monday, with the title game to be played Wednesday.
• California is the lone area team among the seven to play in the Class 3 District 8 Tournament at North Callaway.
The fifth-seeded Pintos will open against fourth-seeded Centralia at 10 a.m. The semifinals will be played Monday, with the title game set for Wednesday.
• Vienna is the No. 1 seed in the Class 2 District 9 Tournament at Plato.
The Eagles will face either Belle or Laquey in the semifinals Monday. The title game will be played Tuesday.
• St. Elizabeth and Tuscumbia are both in the six-team Class 1 District 9 Tournament in Stoutland.
Tuscumbia, the No. 4 seed, will face fifth-seeded Crocker at 11 a.m. Second-seeded St. Elizabeth has a bye into Monday’s semifinals. The title game will be played Wednesday.
In track and field:
• The Jefferson City Jays and Lady Jays will participate in the Class 4 District 5 Championships at Camdenton. Action will begin at 11 a.m.
• The Helias Crusaders and Lady Crusaders will host the Class 3 District 5 Championships at Adkins Stadium, starting at 11 a.m.
Other area teams in the event include Blair Oaks, California, Eldon, School of the Osage, Southern Boone and Versailles.
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting