Report: Gas vapors caused KC Plaza restaurant fire
Wednesday, March 13, 2013
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Federal and local officials say a fatal explosion and fire at a Kansas City restaurant last month were sparked by natural gas vapors in the restaurant.
The Kansas City Fire Department and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosive said Wednesday the cause of the Feb. 19 blast at JJ’s restaurant was the “accidental ignition of natural gas vapors that accumulated” inside the restaurant.
The explosion and fire injured 16 people and killed a 46-year-old woman who worked at the restaurant near the Country Club Plaza.
The Missouri Public Service Commission and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration are conducting a separate investigation into the cause of the natural gas line break near JJ’s.
More like this story
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting