Jefferson City closes two businesses for fire code violations

Jefferson City, Mo. - The City of Jefferson announced closures today of two local businesses for building and fire code violations.

Motel 6, DBA, America’s Best Value Inn, 1624 Jefferson Street, was inspected as part of a routine licensing inspection. Jefferson City fire inspectors, working with state and county licensing officials as well as city building inspectors, conducted the inspections.

The inspections found numerous life and safety violations including non-functioning fire alarm system; debris and combustible materials improperly stored; multiple electrical violations; compromise of fire walls; hotel rooms being used as residences in violation of the zoning code and numerous other violations.

Due to the severity of the violations and the threat to life and property, the building was found not to be fit for human occupancy and ordered to be closed immediately.

The property owner, Bill Patel, was provided a list of the violations and the steps needed to correct them. Only the owner and those employed by him will be allowed in the building for the purpose of completing the repairs. City officials have stated that Mr. Patel has begun repairs and is cooperating.

City officials conducted an inspection of a multi-business building located at 2425 Industrial Drive in Jefferson City. The inspection was prompted by a complaint by a tenant living in the building. The inspection was conducted by city building code officials and city fire inspectors.

The inspection determined the basement of the building had been illegally converted for residential use. The inspections also found numerous electrical and plumbing violations in the basement and determined these violations continued into the main floor of the building. An inspection of the entire building was therefore conducted.

The inspection found numerous serious violations, including the following: non-permitted electrical modifications; sewer gas entering the building; lack of proper fire exits; exposed wiring; extension cords used as permanent wiring; lack of emergency egress lighting and unsafe structural features.

Due to the severity of the violations and the threat to life and property, the building was found not to be fit for human occupancy and ordered to be closed immediately.

The property owner, Norris Feely, was provided a list of the violations and the steps required for correction. Only the owner and those employed by him will be allowed in the building for the purpose of completing the repairs. City officials have stated that Mr. Norris has begun repairs and is cooperating.

Interim Fire Chief Jason Turner stressed the importance of businesses being safe for our citizens and visitors. Protecting lives and property is the City’s top priority. "We want our businesses to be a safe environment. Doing these inspections will help prevent fires and even possibly save lives one day," Turner stated.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting

News Tribune - comments