UK’s Prince Philip enters hospital for operation

LONDON (AP) — Queen Elizabeth II’s husband has been admitted to a London hospital for an exploratory operation, Buckingham Palace said Thursday.

The palace said the operation on 91-year-old Prince Philip was pre-planned and comes after “abdominal investigations,” but did not elaborate.

In a brief statement, it said Philip is expected to be in the hospital for up to two weeks.

The queen’s husband was admitted as planned to the London Clinic shortly after attending a Buckingham Palace garden party hosted by his wife.

The private hospital is a longtime favorite for celebrities and royals in need of treatment.

After pulling out of an event earlier this week because of illness, Philip later attended a service to mark the 60th anniversary of the queen’s coronation.

Philip’s health was in the spotlight last summer when he spent almost a week in the hospital after a recurrence of a bladder infection.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting

News Tribune - comments