Red Cross assisting family from mobile home fire
Tuesday, December 17, 2013
Volunteers with the American Red Cross Heart of Missouri chapter assisted a Cole County family of four who lost their mobile home Sunday in a fire.
The fire was reported just after 5 p.m. in the 5100 block of West Business 50.
Volunteers met with the family and provided financial resources for them to meet their immediate emergency needs with the purchase of food, clothing and temporary motel stay.
The family, two adults and two children under the age of 10, also received comfort kits, which contain personal hygiene items, and referrals to local partner agencies.
A passerby saw the fire and went to the Apache Flats Regional West Fire Station to let firefighters know about the fire.
According to fire district officials, even with a quick response, the fire appeared to have been burning for some time as flames were coming out of the structure when firefighters arrived.
The hot water heater/furnace area is where the fire started, and fire officials believe some electrical problem may have been the cause.
No one was home at the time of the fire, and there was nothing suspicious about the incident, officials said.
More like this story
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting