Lakewood Condominium fire believed to be caused by fireplace and/or flue
Sunday, April 21, 2013
A fire that caused damage to a building at Lakewood Condominiums Saturday is believed to have started in the fireplace and/or flue in one of the units on the second floor.
According to Osage Beach Fire Chief Jeff Dorhauer, at 7:31 p.m. Saturday, April 20 the Osage Beach Fire Protection District was called to a second alarm commercial structure fire at building 400 of Lakewood Condominiums, which is located off Jeffries Road in Osage Beach. Upon arrival, crews found heavy fire venting through the roof with buildings on both sides in danger. All occupants were evacuated, crews began an aggressive attacks to contain the fire to the building of origin, Dorhauer stated. Fire Department utilized aerial trucks from Osage Beach and Lake Ozark and a Fire Boat on the Lake side of the condo to bring the fire under control.
Minor smoke and exterior siding damage was sustained to buildings on either side of building 400. The fire was brought under control at approximately 9 p.m., and units remained on the scene until shortly after 11 p.m. No injuries to occupants or firefighters were reported, Dorhauer said.
After initial investigation the fire is believed to have started on the second floor of building 400 in the fireplace and/or flue. Investigation also has shown that the fireplaces possibly had recently been upgraded or had work completed on them, however no permit for this work was issued by the Fire District, investigation to continue, Dorhauer stated.
More like this story
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting