Our Opinion: CROP Walk

Help alleviate hunger, at home and elsewhere

This year’s CROP Walk marks another commendable example of area churches, and other groups, uniting to address hunger — at home and abroad.

The 41st annual local installment of the CROP Walk will begin at 4 p.m. Oct. 7 at the Soldier’s Memorial on the Lincoln University campus.

CROP is the acronym for Communities Responding to Overcome Poverty. The community events are held nationwide and are sponsored by Church World Services.

Locally, the walk is sponsored by the Capital Area Interfaith Alliance.

Funds raised during the local event will help alleviate hunger both internationally and locally. Church World Services will receive 75 percent of the proceeds, with the remaining 25 percent designated for the Buddy Pack program.

As you may recall, the Buddy Pack program was threatened by rising costs earlier this year.

Buddy Packs provide meals on weekends and during school breaks for children who have qualified for free and reduced lunches at their schools.

The program is operated through the Food Bank of Central and Northeast Missouri, with local volunteers assembling the Buddy Packs for distribution.

Last year’s event marked the beginning of a partnership with Lincoln University. The walk also attracted 400 participants and raised $10,000.

With additional churches expected to participate this year, organizers hope even higher numbers will be attained.

Hunger is a problem, here and elsewhere.

More than half the students in the Jefferson City public schools qualify for subsidized meals. Even more desperate are people elsewhere in the world, where famine and starvation are constant threats.

Ministering to people who suffer hunger and other needs is a core value embraced by people of faith.

The Rev. David Avery, pastor of Community Christian Church, noted “Jesus spent so much of his time feeding people and caring for their bodily needs. The church has a large part in making a difference in this problem.”

You, too, can make a difference by participating in this year’s CROP Walk and helping to alleviate the misery of hunger.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting

News Tribune - comments