Eldon celebrates Turkey Festival
Thursday, September 27, 2012
Question: Why did the turkey cross the road? Answer: Because it was the chicken’s day off.
On Saturday chickens are taking the day off in Eldon to allow their feathered friends to enjoy the limelight at the Fifth Annual Turkey Festival. The celebration is scheduled from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at locations around the city.
More than 160 vendors are planning to attend the event, famous for its smoked drumsticks and batter-fried turkey strips.
The appearance of Jake Wesley Rogers, a finalist on America’s Got Talent, at 4-5:30 p.m. on the main stage is expected to collect a crowd. Two other stages will feature gospel music and local kids’ groups.
The festival technically starts at 7:15 a.m. with the 5K Turkey Trot and Gobble Wobble (for the walkers) at the public service building on Oak Street. By 10 a.m. Eldonites will begin lining the streets for the parade.
Visitors should check out the quilt show and art show at the Eldon Community Center. The Osage River Power Association also will exhibit antique tractors in the Gerbes parking lot.
More like this story
- Eldon celebrates 28th Annual Turkey Festival
- Beautiful Day for a Festival
- Around the Lake: Summer brings loads of activity at Eldon Chamber, community
- Around the Lake: Eldon welcomes guests to numerous Chamber, community events this fall
- Around the Lake: Eldon Chamber encourages visitors, residents to attend community events this holiday season
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting