Malfunctioning furnace may have caused JC house fire
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
A malfunctioning furnace may have been the cause for a fire that caused thousands of dollars in damage to a Jefferson City home, early Wednesday morning.
According to Jefferson City Fire Department reports, the official cause is being ruled as “accidental” for the fire in the 2200 block of Cedarbrooke Drive.
The fire was called in around 4:45 a.m.
Fire officials noted that the family inside was able to get out safely thanks to properly working smoke detectors.
The fire began in the basement and spread up to the first floor.
Damage was estimated at $90,000 with the basement and first floor suffering heavy smoke and fire damage.
Fire officials noted that in the past week there have been a number of calls about malfunctioning furnaces and with the cooler weather here citizens should take time to make sure their furnaces are working properly before they turn them on.
More like this story
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting