Submariner discusses unique skills acquired through naval service
Monday, October 1, 2012
“The experience gained through military service can’t be bought,” said Warren Forrest, of his service aboard submarines during the Cold War. “These are experiences that must be lived.”
While sharing the details of a career now in full hindsight, Forrest mirthfully recalls that not everyone in his family embraced his decision to join the Navy.
When his older brother returned from naval leave in 1955, Forrest recalls his advice: “Whatever you do, don’t join the Navy!” But the aspiring sailor ....
More like this story
- Local veteran spent part of naval career aboard submarines
- Local resident explains value of Cold War era submarine service
- Navy veteran shares story of Cold War era submarine service
- Navy celebrates once-secret sub now on display
- Naval service influences lawmaker’s support of military-focused legislation
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting