Child may have started apartment fire
Originally published May 29, 2012 at 8:07 p.m., updated May 29, 2012 at 10:31 p.m.
An 8-year-old child playing with either a lighter or matches is believed to have caught a bed on fire Tuesday evening, that eventually caused an estimated $100,000 in damage to a home in Jefferson City that had been converted to three apartments.
According to fire department reports, the fire at 1001 W. High St. was called in around 5:23 p.m.
The fire started in a bedroom on the second floor.
Fire officials said the child has a previous history of playing with things that can start fires.
The bedroom and upstairs hallway suffered serious fire damage and there was smoke and water damage throughout the structure.
The mother and her child were taken to a local hospital, as a precaution, for treatment for smoke inhalation.
No one was at home in the other two apartments when the fire broke out.
More like this story
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting