Sudan warplanes bomb South Sudan
Wednesday, May 9, 2012
JUBA, South Sudan (AP) — Sudan resumed its aerial bombardment of South Sudan, violating international calls for a cessation of hostilities between the two countries, a South Sudanese military official said Wednesday.
Col. Kella Dual Kueth, deputy spokesman for the South Sudan military, said there were attacks Monday and Tuesday in the states of Upper Nile, Unity and Northern Bahr el Ghazal.
“Automatically it is a violation,” Kueth said. “They always attack in the morning and (in the) evening, as usual.”
Kueth did not say how many bombs were dropped or how many people were killed in attacks launched by Sudanese warplanes. He said he was not aware of any attacks Wednesday.
Khartoum has repeatedly denied it is carrying out a bombing campaign over southern territory, saying instead it is the victim of its southern neighbor’s aggression.
The U.N. Security Council last month approved a resolution threatening nonmilitary sanctions against Sudan and South Sudan if they do not stop escalating violence and return to negotiations.
The African Union is now trying to help the two Sudans reach a settlement and avoid a return to all-out war. Although Sudan has endorsed the AU’S roadmap to peace, it insists on the right to defend itself militarily.
U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called on both countries Wednesday “to disengage and resume post-independence negotiations.”
“It is imperative that both sides stop any and all warfare by proxy, before it becomes too late,” he said.