Outdoor overhead structures add living space, visual appeal
Sunday, March 25, 2012
Outdoor living rooms are one of the most popular trends in landscaping. When the weather is nice, homeowners flock to their al fresco spaces for dining, entertaining or just relaxing.
Overhead structures like pergolas, arbors, pavilions and gazebos are features that can add both aesthetic and practical appeal to a backyard area.
“With these structures, you are getting a covered area that you can use in inclement weather and for shade,” said Chance Foster, co-owner of Truescape LLC.
The choice between a pergola, arbor, pavilion or gazebo depends on the size of the backyard and the intended purpose of the structure.
“People first and foremost put these structures where they like to hang out the most in their backyard,” said Tom Cairo, owner of Capitol Improvements.
More like this story
- Firepits, fireplaces help homeowners bring comforts of inside to back yard
- DIY landscaping project should begin with measuring, dreaming
- Bears interrupt weather report at Pa. TV station
- Two JC bars expanding; one closes its doors
- Summaries of Old Town, Capitol Avenue and Downtown Transformation projects