Mo. governor seeks federal disaster declaration
Wednesday, March 7, 2012
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — Gov. Jay Nixon is requesting federal assistance for 18 Missouri counties hit by last week’s violent storms.
Nixon said Wednesday he has requested a federal major disaster declaration for parts of southern and northern Missouri struck by tornadoes, hail and high winds on Feb. 28 and 29. The violent weather was blamed for three deaths, dozens of injuries and widespread property damage.
Counties covered by Nixon’s request are Adair, Barry, Barton, Bollinger, Cape Girardeau, Cedar, Dallas, Daviess, Laclede, Linn, Madison, Phelps, Polk, Pulaski, Scott, Stoddard, Stone and Taney.
The disaster declaration could allow the federal government to help people rebuild damaged homes and help counties pay the costs of emergency response to the storms.
More like this story
- Mo. Gov. seeks federal aid for August storms
- 20 northern Missouri counties receive disaster declaration from September storms
- Nixon seeks federal disaster declaration
- Governor requests major disaster declaration for communities impacted by May 31 storms
- Governor seeks federal major disaster declaration
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting