Some at Springfield homeless have charges dropped
Friday, July 20, 2012
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) — Some of the 17 homeless people arrested when police raided a Springfield camp last month will not be charged with trespassing.
The municipal prosecutor said Thursday charges would be dropped in some cases because investigators couldn’t determine which of the campers were given legal notice before being cited.
The Springfield News-Leader reports (http://sgfnow.co/LC4CaD ) two people pleaded guilty Thursday to trespassing and one pleaded not guilty. Others at the court Thursday were told they won’t be charged.
Springfield police went to the camp the day before it was raided and told campers they had 24 hours to leave. Prosecutor Carl Yender says only campers who were noted in police reports as being given prior warning were charged.
He says about seven people had their charges dropped.
Information from: Springfield News-Leader, http://www.news-leader.com
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting