Red Cross helping apartment fire victims

No working smoke detectors present

Two adults and three children were displaced by an apartment fire Tuesday morning at 215 Pine St. in Jefferson City.

No working smoke detectors were found.

Volunteers from the American Red Cross Heart of Missouri Chapter have provided for the family’s immediate needs, including food, clothing, temporary lodging and personal hygiene kits.

The Red Cross also provided assistance to a sixth victim of the fire who was a tenant of another apartment in the house.

Five Jefferson City Fire Department companies responded about 3:30 a.m. to discover heavy flames coming from the north side second story, said Jason Turner, department spokesman.

After ensuring evacuation, firefighters contained the fire to the second floor and part of the first floor.

Although no injuries were reported, the loss estimate could be up to $80,000.

Landlords are required to provide smoke detectors, and tenants are required to maintain them, Turner said.

“It’s a proven fact detectors save lives,” Turner said.

Read expanded news coverage daily in our newspaper or e-Edition. Newspaper subscribers: Click on an e-Edition article to log in using your current account information at no extra charge. For help, e-mail circ@newstribune.com.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting

News Tribune - comments