Exchange Bank clock has survived 96 years and one truck crash
Sunday, January 15, 2012
Literally, a landmark — the freestanding clock at the corner of High and Madison streets in downtown Jefferson City — has been a rendezvous location for businessmen and a point of reference for visitors for 80 years.
The gilded timepiece built by the O.B. McClintock Company was installed in front of the Exchange Bank location in the 200 block of High Street in 1916.
The downtown icon was relocated 16 years later to its current corner after the bank took over First National Bank and moved into the larger building at 132 E. High St.
Although the bank, which was the first bank established in the city in 1865, changed its name to Hawthorn Bank in 2007, for historic purposes “Exchange National Bank” remains on the clock frame.