Our Opinion: Happy 65th anniversary, Eagles
News Tribune editorial
Tuesday, August 21, 2012
We join in wishing happy anniversary to the local chapter of the Fraternal Order of Eagles.
This month, Jefferson City Aerie 2693 is marking its 65th year as a social and charitable organization serving our community.
Some people may be familiar with the Eagles primarily as a group that hosts dinners, dances and games, in addition to meetings of its membership and auxiliary, the woman’s branch of the association.
Those regular events, and a number of special events throughout the year, are fundraising activities to benefit charities.
• A recent dinner was organized by a club member and his children to benefit Relay for Life. The event was held in memory of the member’s late wife, who died of breast cancer.
• The “pie committee” members have been known to bake between 65 and 85 pies for fundraising dinners. And members devote their baking talents to the Eagles annual Christmas bazaar.
• Members are planning a Golden Age Eagle Lunch and Dinner from 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m. and from 4:30-7 p.m. on Aug. 24 to benefit the Senior Nutrition Center.
The Fraternal Order of Eagles, according to its mission statement, is united “in the spirit of liberty, truth, justice and equality, to make human life more desirable by lessening its ills, and by promoting peace, prosperity, gladness and hope.
Despite changes, including location, during the years, the commitment to that mission has remained a constant.
Congratulations, Eagles and auxiliary. May your spirit of fraternity and charity continue to soar.
More like this story
- Eagles to mark 65 years in Jefferson City
- Westminster fraternity wins international award
- California Eagles 4027, Ladies' Auxiliary Doing Good Locally and Nationally
- Recent turkey dinner donations part of year-round efforts
- Heart of the Ozarks Professional & Business Women donate to five local charities