Fire destroys Eugene home

No one was hurt Friday morning when fire destroyed a nearly 6-year-old home in Eugene.

The state fire marshal’s office said the fire at 10904 Miller St. appeared to be accidental, apparently starting in the wiring in the laundry area.

Mike Rackers, assistant chief for the Cole County Volunteer Fire Department, said flames were coming out of the roof of the home when firefighters reached the home.

The alarm sounded at 10:17 a.m. Firefighters still were cleaning up the scene six hours later.

Rackers said three people in the home were alerted to the fire by working smoke detectors and all — two senior citizens and their daughter — left the home safely.

He said weather wasn’t a factor in starting the fire, but the strong winds made it harder to fight the blaze.

Fire trucks from the Jefferson City, Russellville and Moreau fire departments brought extra water — and 17 more firefighters — to assist with the battle.

Rackers said the fire cost an estimated $700,000 in damage, and the home was considered a loss.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting

News Tribune - comments