Mo. Gov. seeks federal aid for August storms
Saturday, November 19, 2011
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon is requesting federal assistance for farmers in seven counties hit by strong winds and hail in August.
Nixon on Friday asked for the disaster declaration from the U.S. Department of Agriculture for Andrew, Atchison, Gentry, Lafayette, Nodaway, Pettis and Platte counties. It would allow farmers who lost crops or property to get federal assistance.
Severe storms struck from Aug. 18 to Aug. 22. The weather forced some events to be canceled at the Missouri State Fair, which was going on that time. Powerful storms knocked out power and caused scattered damage at the fairgrounds in Sedalia, which is in Pettis County.
More like this story
- USDA grants governor’s disaster declaration for 17 Missouri counties resulting from August storms
- Mo. farmers eligible for aid from August storms
- Mo. governor seeks federal disaster declaration
- Governor requests major disaster declaration for communities impacted by May 31 storms
- 3 Mid-Missouri counties not on aid list
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting