Jefferson City firefighters put out kitchen blaze
Thursday, May 26, 2011
The Jefferson City Fire Department put out a blaze early this morning in the kitchen of a Lafayette Street home.
Firefighters were dispatched at 12:01 a.m. to a structure fire at 800 Lafayette St. Upon arrival, they found a single story brick home with light smoke showing from the rear.
Firefighters extinguished the fire in the kitchen area and had the fire under control within five minutes. All family members escaped without injury. Two adults and three children were inside the home at the time of the fire.
The cause of the fire was ruled as an unattended stove that was left on after the resident had cooked earlier in the night. The kitchen suffered serious damage while minor smoke and water damage was spread though out the rest of the home.
The Capital City chapter of the American Red Cross was contacted to help the family with displacement assistance.
More like this story
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting