Explosion, fire destroy Lake Ozark condo
Friday, May 13, 2011
LAKE OZARK, Mo. — An apparent explosion near a propane-powered grill Wednesday night caused a fire that destroyed a building at the Willows Condominiums on Horseshoe Bend.
The fire was reported at 7:41 p.m. Wednesday, said Fire Chief Mark Amsinger of the Lake Ozark Fire Protection District. When firefighters arrived on the scene, all the occupants of the building had escaped without injury.
“The entire building and two vehicles parked in front of it were on fire,” Amsinger said. “We immediately sent out a second alarm and began defensive operations to protect adjacent structures.”
Amsinger said firefighters climbed on the roofs of adjacent condominium buildings and used aerial ladder trucks to keep the fire from spreading to the surrounding structures.
He said it took firefighters about an hour to bring the blaze under control. Because there were so many hotspots in the rubble, firefighters stayed on the scene until after midnight.
More like this story
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting