First celebrity bounced from ABC’s ’Dancing’
Wednesday, March 30, 2011
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Radio host Mike Catherwood is the first celebrity voted off the new season of “Dancing with the Stars.”
Catherwood drew the lowest score when the audience vote was combined with the judges’ tally on the hit ABC series, which launched its 12th season last week.
His exit Tuesday leaves 10 contestants, including a high-scoring Ralph Macchio of “Karate Kid” fame. Others in the field are Kirstie Alley, talk-show host Wendy Williams, actress Chelsea Kane, singer Romeo, reality star Kendra Wilkinson, model Petra Nemcova and athletes Sugar Ray Leonard, Hines Ward and Chris Jericho.
“Loveline” radio show co-host Catherwood was teased by “Dancing” host Tom Bergeron for joining the ranks of other past competitors, including David Hasselhoff, who were first out the door.
“It puts me on the Mount Rushmore of terrible dancers,” responded a good-natured Catherwood, who was paired with dancer Lacey Schwimmer. He said being on the show was “nothing but a pleasurable experience.”
Guest star Chris Brown sang during the results show, which followed an hourlong recap of the contestants’ dances. Brown’s performance of “Yeah 3X” from his new album “F.A.M.E.” and the song “Forever” were drama-free, despite comments about him from Bergeron and dancer Cheryl Burke.
In an interview Monday on Ryan Seacrest’s radio show, Bergeron said that if he were asked by producers of “Dancing” to interview Brown he wouldn’t agree to avoid any issues — an apparent reference to Brown’s visit last week to ABC’s “Good Morning America.”
The singer threw a destructive tantrum in his dressing room after he was asked on-air by the morning show’s Robin Roberts about his beating of then-girlfriend Rihanna in 2009. He later apologized, saying he got upset and needed to “let out steam.”
Burke, who’s paired this season with Jericho, told “Extra” she disagreed with the decision to invite Brown but the matter was out of her hands.