County Oks displaying ’In God We Trust’
Tuesday, June 21, 2011
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) — The Greene County Commission will display the “In God We Trust” logo in its chambers at the county’s courthouse.
Despite objections from some audience members, the commission voted Monday to display the logo in its hearing room at the courthouse in Springfield.
The vote came after some audience members urged them to reject the logo, claiming that it did not respect religious diversity or those who are atheists.
Presiding commissioner Jim Viebrock said the commission can’t make everyone happy. But the told The Springfield-News Leader that everyone, regardless of religious belief, will be welcomed in the county chambers.
The issue was initially brought to the commission by Springfield attorney Dee Wampler, who said the motto makes a statement about American history and its love of God.
Information from: Springfield News-Leader, http://www.news-leader.com
More like this story
- Another round in Ten Commandments fight hits Fla.
- Text of Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon's State of the State address
- Around the Lake: What are the benefits of being a member of the Lake Area Chamber of Commerce?
- Members of 37 congregations meet in Springfield
- St. Louis suburb joins ’In God We Trust’ movement
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting