Your Opinion: In the interest of public safety
Saturday, June 4, 2011
How pleased this reader was with the June 1 “Our Opinion” column on public safety. She wishes more such topics would be forthcoming in future issues.
Over time the police department also issues stories that help citizens learn more about safety matters.
There is one instance in which this individual was stopped and chastised by a police officer who did not understand why I performed like I did. This officer was quite belligerent toward me. Drivers in other vehicles going past looked and I was humiliated by not only his screaming but for stopping me. This driver is aware of situations that occur here on this street and of the carelessness of drivers in this vicinity.
Coming from the mall area when given the green light to proceed across the intersection at Commerce Drive, I hesitated for a second. Another driver made a left turn onto Commerce Drive ahead of me. Now the light had turned red for him but he seemed determined to make his turn first. It has been noticed that the tendency of many drivers seems to be to make a turn before the oncoming car does It is surprising more accidents do not occur in this vicinity.
Apparently many drivers do not know the rules of the road. It is a great service these two organizations perform by placing such information on the printed page.
I know other readers (and drivers too) will agree with me.
More like this story
- Around the Lake: Old Tyme Apple Festival places first in ‘Best of Rural Missouri’
- PERSPECTIVE: Patriot Guard serves families at military funerals
- Around the Lake: Camdenton Chamber supports Small Business Saturday, launches new strategy initiatives and more approaching 2014
- Around the Lake: August brings Shootout, other fun events to Lake’s Westside
- Around the Lake: A news position with Versailles Area Chamber, a lot to look forward to in 2014
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting