JC schools buy land for possible elementary school
Saturday, January 22, 2011
Jefferson City’s Public Schools bought more than 11 acres this week.
The School Board on Wednesday approved the $220,000 purchase from Celeste Laux.
“Her residence is on that property, (which) sits directly between Lewis and Clark Middle School and East McCarty Street,” Superintendent Brian Mitchell explained. “This is a piece of property that we had been looking at for a little while, when we became aware that it might be for sale.”
A Kansas City consultant’s demographic study of the district predicts the public schools will add “from a low projection of 500 additional students over the next 10 years to over 3,000 new students,” Mitchell said.
And that was just one of the factors prompting administrators to think about more elementary classroom space.
“We’re already at capacity in schools throughout the district,” he said. “There are just a few schools that are below capacity.
More like this story
- Panel explores how to address growing elementary school population
- Jefferson City Public Schools move closer to November vote
- Committee backs elementary expansion and 2nd high school — but no election date, yet
- JC panel to suggest staggered starts at schools
- JCPS announces Moreau Heights Elementary principal
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting