2 girls rescued from burning Springfield home
Sunday, January 16, 2011
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) — Two girls rescued from a burning Springfield home are hospitalized in critical condition.
The Springfield News-Leader reported that the 5-year-old and 8-year-old suffered smoke inhalation and burns Saturday. But Fire Chief David Hall says he is “optimistic” that the girls will recover.
A paramedic who was one of the first people to arrive was able to rescue one of the girls. But afterward, he had to be treated for smoke inhalation.
Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to find the second girl in a bed.
The girls’ mother and grandmother also were taken to a hospital. Both adults were out of the house when firefighters arrived.
Fire Marshal Ben Basham says the fire was caused by a short in a clothing-covered extension cord, which was plugged into a space heater.
More like this story
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting