Ashcroft: America wants assurance economic downturn doesn’t repeat
Thursday, January 13, 2011
With words of encouragement and warning alike, former Attorney General John Ashcroft addressed members of the Associated Industries of Missouri (AIM) and state legislators on the importance of business for the young legislature.
In his keynote address at the Doubletree Hotel in Jefferson City on Wednesday afternoon during AIM’s SHOW ME Leadership event, Ashcroft called upon the legislators and AIM members to work together this year, citing the words of Thomas Payne to describe the potential that comes with a new session at the Capitol.
“We have it within our power to make the world over again,” Ashcroft said. “If the American people have, at any time, registered a more profound idea that they want their circumstance, their environment, their communities made over again than this last November, I don’t know when it was. Certainly not in my lifetime.”
Among the topics that Ashcroft touched on in his address, the uncertain state of the economy was prominent.
More like this story
- Ashcroft: US should assert its liberty interests
- Ashcroft reflects on Reagan, dedication to promotion of democracy
- YOUR OPINION: Fair Tax chacterized as ‘bait and switch’
- Ashcroft to speak Tuesday in Fulton at ‘Breakthrough’ sculpture anniversary
- Lawyer, businessman seek to fill open House seat for 113th District
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting