Our Timeline in brief

1821 - Howard’s Bluff on the south bank of the Missouri River at the mouth of Wier’s Creek was chosen as the permanent seat of state government and given the name of President Thomas Jefferson

1825 - Jefferson City was incorporated and the city’s first Capitol was built near the site of the current Governor’s Mansion

1826 - The first legislative session convened in Jefferson City and the first newspaper was established by Calvin Gunn, “The Jeffersonian Republican”

1838 - “Enquirer” publishes (spelled Inquirer after 1841)

1838 - “Missouri Watchman”

1846 - “The Metropolitan” prints first edition

1852 - “The Examiner” sets up shop

1862 - “The State Times” publishes

1865 - “Jefferson City State Times”

1865- “The People’s Tribune” opens

1871 - “Daily Tribune” begins

1878-1882 - “Staats-zeitung” prints German text newspaper

1878-1882 - “The Daily Eclipse” publishes

1884 - “Cole County Democrat” prints first edition

1885 - “Jefferson City Tribune” established

1894-1899 - “Jefferson City Courier” prints

1897-1927 - “Cole County Weekly Rustler” publishes

1900 - Jefferson City’s population was less than 10,000 at the turn of the 20th century, but it had five newspapers:

• The Cole County Democrat, established in 1884 by Joseph Edwards and operated until 1902

• The Missouri Volksfreund, a German text newspaper in print from 1876-1920

• The Republican, 1900-1907

• The Daily Press 1899-1902

• The Cole County Rustler 1897-1927

Early 1900s - “Missouri Volksfreund” runs German newspaper

1903 - “Daily Post” begins

1910 - “Daily Democrat Tribune” created from the merger of the Jefferson City Tribune and the Cole County Democrat (name shortened to Democrat Tribune in 1924)

1910 - “Daily Capital News” opens

1918-1922 - “Mosby’s Missouri Message” takes a turn at the news

1922 - State-owned radio WOS goes on the air in February with Willis Corwin at the helm

1924 - “Jefferson City Tribune” begins

1927 - Winter/Goshorn create Post-Tribune with mergers

1928 - Winter elected state lieutenant governor

1931 - The present News Tribune Company building at 210 Monroe St was erected

1933 - Goshorn purchases Capital News (established in 1910)

1933 - Winter sells his half of company to Goshorn

1936 - Goshorn elected president of the Missouri Press Association

1936 - Goshorn receives permission from the FCC in December to establish a 100-watt station as KWOS at the Hough Mansion, built in 1884 at the southeast corner of East Capitol Avenue and Adams Street

1937- KWOS goes on-air in January - about 30,000 radios were in the surrounding five counties

1953 - Goshorn dies, leadership continues under his wife Lenore and daughter Betty

1954 - Betty Weldon makes history as the first woman to establish a television station, fulfills her father’s dream and memorializes him with his initals as the call letters — KRCG

1959 - Lenore Goshorn dies and Betty Weldon, with her husband William, who was president of Blair Television in New York, become publishers

1966 - FCC forces separation of newspaper, radio and television holdings

early 1970s - presses convert from linotype to off-set printing

2002 - William Weldon dies

2007 - Betty Weldon dies

2007 - presses changed from off-set to current ManRoland Uniset 75 and new location built at 2130 Schotthill Woods Rd.

2008 - WEHCO Media buys the News Tribune and sister papers — The California Democrat and the Fulton Sun

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting

News Tribune - comments