Vatican: No plans to limit Sistine visitors

VATICAN CITY (AP) — The Vatican is determined to avoid limiting the number of visitors to the Sistine Chapel with its Michelangelo frescoes, despite harmful buildup of dust and other pollutants, the director of the Vatican Museums said Wednesday.

“We will try to keep it open” without putting a limit on the growing number of visitors to the chapel, “in the conviction that it is possible to do so without risk to the paintings,” Antonio Paolucci wrote in the Holy See’s daily newspaper, L’Osservatore Romano.

Paolucci, who also is one of Italy’s most renowned art restoration experts, said the Vatican was working to give the chapel where popes are elected an “updated and efficient air conditioning system able to ensure the refreshing of the air and the combating of pollutants in both solid and gas forms.”

Some 4 million people visit the Museums annually, with the chapel the highlight — or even the sole aim of the visit — for countless numbers of them. Ticket sales are a big moneymaker for the Vatican.

Dust, sweat, humidity and carbon dioxide exhaled by visitors who jam into the chapel to crane their neck to look at the frescoed ceiling can build to unwanted levels.

Last year, a high-tech monitoring system was installed in the chapel to obtain data, and the monitoring “is a good way along,” Paolucci said.

The monitors register temperature and relative humidity at various heights in the chapel as well as the temperature of the frescoes themselves, dust levels, and the concentration of carbon dioxide, as well as the direction and speed of air currents in the cavernous room, he noted.

One surprising result of the study is the finding that many visitors loop back for another look at the chapel during their tour of the sprawling museums, Paolucci said.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting

News Tribune - comments