Final toll from melon listeria outbreak: 30 dead
Friday, December 9, 2011
DENVER (AP) — Federal health authorities say the final death toll from an outbreak of listeria in cantaloupe is 30.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta issued the final update Thursday and said the outbreak is over.
The agency says 30 people died, and a woman pregnant at the time of her illness had a miscarriage. Last month, the CDC put the death toll at 29.
The CDC says a total of 146 people were sickened in 28 states.
The melons came from Jensen Farms in southern Colorado, which recalled the cantaloupes Sept. 14.
Symptoms of listeria can take up to two months to appear.
CDC's final update: http://1.usa.gov/sf6a7J
More like this story
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting