Father-son interest leads from powwows to Venture Crew
Monday, August 29, 2011
For Carl Mahoney, it was his son Patrick who got him back into Native American dancing, a passion of his in the 1980s that gave way to the demands of college, work and then family life.
In high school, Mahoney competed on a seven-member team based in Jefferson City. Seven years ago, years after he had stopped dancing, his son Patrick told him he wanted to give it a try.
Read additional details in our newspaper or e-Edition. Newspaper subscribers: Click on an e-Edition article and log in using your current account information at no extra charge. For help, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
The two danced at a Scouting event several years ago, and more people became interested. That led to their current 15-member Wiechcheu Dancers group, a Venture Crew formed by members of the Order of the Arrow.
More like this story
- NB youth dance their way to Native American powwows
- Local youths dance in Native American powwows
- Embrace Native American culture during the Osage River Pow Wow June 13-15
- Embrace Native American culture during the Osage River Pow Wow this weekend
- Bringing Native American heritage to the Lake this weekend
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting