Selig says two more teams likely for 2012 season
Friday, April 22, 2011
With both sides expressing support for adding two playoff teams in 2012, negotiators for baseball players and owners are considering having the new wild-card round be best-of-3 or winner-take-all.
Because longer series would push playoffs deeper into cold weather, the sides are not considering have the new first round be best-of-5 or best-of-7.
“I would say we’re moving to expanding the playoffs, but there’s a myriad of details to work out,” commissioner Bud Selig said Thursday at his annual meeting with the Associated Press Sports Editors. “Ten is a fair number.”
Since 1995, eight of the 30 baseball teams make the playoffs. In the NFL, 12 of 32 teams make the playoffs. In the NBA and NHL, 16 of 30 advance to the postseason.
In the new format, the two wild cards in each league would meet, and the winners would advance to the following round against division winners.
“The more we’ve talked about it, I think we’re moving inexorably to that,” Selig said.
Discussions have taken place as part of collective bargaining for a labor deal to replace the one that expires in December. Players want to make sure the new format doesn’t cause lengthy travel with little recovery time.
“We’ve had a healthy exchange on a number of alternatives,” union head Michael Weiner said, “but the sides recognize there has to be a balance of competitive considerations, economic considerations and player safety considerations.”
Selig said owners were unanimous in their desire to achieve a worldwide amateur draft in collective bargaining and a majority of teams favored a slotting system to determine signing bonuses for draft picks.
Selig also said he will not consider changing Barry Bonds’ records following the slugger’s conviction on obstruction of justice last week.
More like this story
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting