Veteran uses life’s obstacles to connect to service members
Monday, April 11, 2011
The opportunity to leave home and embark upon a career often removed from one’s hometown is the dream of many an aspiring youth.
But for local veteran Shawn Johnson, his pursuit of a career in the military would land him face-to-face with his own mortality.
With a father serving in the U.S. Army, Johnson was born at Fort Riley, Kan., in 1971 — on the post where his father was stationed.
More like this story
- Missouri Highway Patrol officer credits military with helping to reach goals
- Veteran's career serves as model to new recruits
- Vietnam veteran achieves dream of flying through service in the Air Force
- Job, economy fears mix with hope for Class of '12
- Local veteran finds enjoyment serving the community