Feds erred about Coast Guard texting before crash
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Federal investigators say they were wrong when they claimed a Coast Guard crewman sent text messages just before his boat hit another vessel in San Diego Bay and killed an 8-year-old boy.
The National Transportation Safety Board reported in August that the crewman sent and received as many as six messages in the quarter-hour before the Dec. 20 crash.
But the San Diego Union-Tribune says the NTSB issued a correction last month. The agency says it mistook Central or Eastern time for Pacific time and the messages were actually sent hours earlier.
The NTSB never blamed cell phone usage for the crash.
Four crew members have been charged with military offenses. Some of the accused have blamed mechanical defects, poor training and lax leadership.
More like this story
Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.
Please review our Policies and Procedures before registering or commenting